Majors v. Jeanes (formerly Majors v. Horne)
Take action and meet our plaintiffs (including Karen and Nelda, pictured above) at our Love Unites US: Arizona campaign hub.
Lambda Legal has filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona on behalf of seven same-sex Arizona couples and the surviving spouses of two additional couples arguing that Arizona’s constitutional ban on marriage for same-sex couples violates the Equal Protection Clause and the Due Process Clause of the U.S. Constitution. Plaintiffs argue that Arizona’s exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage violates their right to equal treatment and freedom to marry, as protected by the U.S. Constitution. This discriminatory system stigmatizes same-sex couples and their families, and treats them as inferior.
- March 13, 2014 Lambda Legal, joined by pro bono co-counsel from Perkins Coie LLP, files the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona.
- September 2014 Lambda Legal filed emergency papers asking the U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona to order the State of Arizona to provide an accurate death certificate to Fred McQuire for his husband, George Martinez.
- September 12, 2014 A federal judge rules we are likely to win the entire case and grants our motion for an emergency order directing the state of Arizona to issue an accurate death certificate to Fred McQuire for his husband, George Martinez.
- October 15, 2014 After the U. S. Supreme Court allows pro-equality rulings from the 4th and 7th Circuits to stand, and the 9th Circuit rules in favor of marriage equality, Lambda Legal urges the U. S. District Court for Arizona to immediately strike down Arizona’s marriage ban.
- October 17, 2014 Victory! The federal court grants our request and rules that Arizona’s marriage ban is unconstitutional. Marriages begin in Arizona. Our clients Kevin Patterson and David Larance are the first to marry.
Nelda Majors and Karen Bailey; David Larance and Kevin Patterson; Michelle Teichner and Barbara Morrissey; Kathy and Jessica Young; Kelli Olson and Jennifer Hoelfe Olson; Kent Burbank and Vicente Talanquer; C.J. and Jesús Castro-Byrd; Patrick Ralph; and Josefina Ahumada
Jennifer C. Pizer, Senior Counsel
Carmina Ocampo, Staff Attorney
Joshua J. Johnson, Staff Attorney
Perkins Coie LLP
Daniel C. Barr