These organizations and websites can offer guidance to transgender people needing to change their gender markers or names on identity documents.
Lambda Legal has compiled a state-by-state directory of birth certificate guidelines: www.lambdalegal.org/publications/sources-of-authority-to-amend
The National Center for Transgender Equality offers this guide to rules on changing your gender marker or your name on a driver’s licenses: www.transequality.org/Resources/DL/DL_policies.html
Another resource from the National Center for Transgender Equality: www.transequality.org/Resources/NCTE_Blueprint_for_Equality2012_ID_Documents.pdf
NAME CHANGES AND OTHER STATE-SPECIFIC ASSISTANCE:
- Massachusetts Transgender Legal Advocates (Boston): www.transgenderlegaladvocates.blogspot.com
- Q-Law (Seattle): www.q-law.org
- Transgender Law Center (San Francisco): www.transgenderlawcenter.org
- Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (New York): www.transgenderlegal.org/work_show.php?id=7
- Whitman-Walker (Washington, DC): www.whitman-walker.org/page.aspx?pid=575
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact Lambda Legal at 212-809-8585,120 Wall Street, Suite 1900, New York, NY 10005-3919. If you feel you have experienced discrimination, call our Help Desk toll-free at 866-542-8336 or go to www.lambdalegal.org/help.