Sevcik v. Sandoval
Take action and meet our plaintiffs (including Caren and Farrell, pictured above) at our Love Unites US: Nevada campaign hub.
Lambda Legal has filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada on behalf of eight same-sex Nevada couples arguing that Nevada’s constitutional ban on marriage equality violates the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution. Plainitffs argue that Nevada’s exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage, while relegating them to the second-class status of domestic partnership, violates their right to equal treatment under the U.S. Constitution. This discriminatory system stigmatizes same-sex couples and their families, and treats them as inferior.
- April 10, 2012 Lambda Legal, joined by pro bono co-counsel from O’Melveny & Myers LLP and Snell & Wilmer LLP, files the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- August 10, 2012 Court defers motion to dismiss and agrees to hear the case. Court also grants a motion by the Coalition for the Protection of Marriage to intervene as a defendant in the lawsuit.
- November 26, 2012 Court rules against the plaintiffs, upholding Nevada's marriage equality ban. Lambda Legal will appeal.
- February 10, 2014 Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval seeks leave to withdraw the brief submitted on his behalf by Nevada Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit defending the state’s discriminatory marriage ban.
- February 12, 2014 Ninth Circuit grants Lambda Legal's request for an expedited hearing.
- September 2014 The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit heard oral arguments in Sevcik v. Sandoval and two other marriage equality cases.
Beverly Sevcik and Mary Baranovich; Antioco Carrillo and Theo Small; Karen Goody and Karen Vibe; Fletcher Whitwell and Greg Flamer; Mikyla and Katie Miller; Adele Terranova and Tara Newberry; Caren and Farrell Cafferata-Jenkins; and Megan Lanz and Sara Geiger
Tara Borelli, Staff Attorney
Peter Renn, Staff Attorney
Shelbi Day, Staff Attorney
O’Melveny & Myers LLP
Snell & Wilmer LLP
Kelly H. Dove