Baskin v. Bogan
Take action and meet our plaintiffs (including Amy and Niki, pictured above) at our Love Unites US: Indiana campaign hub.
Lambda Legal is seeking the freedom to marry in Indiana as well as the recognition of legal out of state marriages of same-sex couples.
- March 10, 2014 Lambda Legal files the federal lawsuit with three plaintiff couples: Ms. Baskin and Ms. Fuller, Ms. Everly and Ms. Judkins, and Ms. Carver and Ms. Eanes
- March 31, 2014 Lambda Legal amends the complaint and adds Mr. Funkhouser and Mr. Greene, as well as Ms. Sandler and Ms. Quasney. Lambda Legal also requests a temporary restraining order, seeking the immediate recognition of Ms. Sandler and Ms. Quasney’s marriage from Massachusetts.
- April 10, 2014 A federal court in Indiana grants emergency relief for Ms. Sandler and Ms. Quasney, who is battling cancer, and orders the state to recognize their Massachusetts marriage for at least 28 days.
- May 2, 2014 Lambda Legal argues before a federal court in Indiana that it should strike down the state’s discriminatory ban on the freedom to marry and respect for out-of-state marriages of same-sex couples. Lambda Legal further requested the court to extend its order to recognize the marriage of Ms. Sandler and Ms. Quasney.
- May 8, 2014 A federal court once again ordered the state to recognize the marriage of Ms. Sandler and Ms. Quasney through the duration of the lawsuit. Attorney General Greg Zoeller appeals the court order.
- May 12, 2014 Lambda Legal opposes the defendant's motion for a stay of the court's ruling.
Paul D. Castillo
Barbara Baird of the Law Office of Barbara J. Baird; Jordan Heinz, Brent Ray, Melanie MacKay, Dmitriy Tishyevich and Robyn English of Kirkland & Ellis LLP.