You are hereHome ›
Liberty Awards National Dinner: About Us
Lambda Legal’s annual Liberty Awards National Dinner is an evening of tribute to those who have made an impact on the lives of LGBT people through advocacy, entertainment, legal and civic contributions. Each year, we honor outstanding individuals and organizations with our highest honor – the Liberty Award. In our traditional venue at Pier Sixty on the Chelsea Piers with its glass walls overlooking the riverfront terrace, the 2012 Liberty Awards will be a magnificent evening of food, drink and celebration. In this setting, the Liberty Awards National Dinner is a perfect opportunity to meet and mingle with leaders of the legal, corporate, and entertainment fields - all of whom share your commitment to the advancement of the civil rights of the LGBT community and people with HIV.
Since our founding in 1973, Lambda Legal has grown to become one of the most recognized and influential leaders in the fight for the civil rights of LGBT people and those with HIV. Case by case, state by state, we are winning groundbreaking battles in the judicial system – and the court of public opinion – that make a real difference.
Notable achievements include:
- Landmark U.S. Supreme Court victory in Lawrence v. Texas, striking down the nation’s remaining sodomy laws and establishing fundamental privacy rights for LGBT people
- Iowa Supreme Court victory in Varnum v. Brien, ruling that denying marriage to same-sex couples in Iowa is unconstitutional, making Iowa the first state in the Midwest to achieve marriage equality
- Advocacy on behalf of plaintiff Janice Langbehn in 2010 resulted in an Executive Order to ensure that LGBT patients and their families are respected in hospital facilities
- Assistance with over 6,000 annual calls to the Help Desk, resulting in referrals to LGBT-friendly attorneys or in some instances joining Lambda Legal’s impact litigation cases
- Fighting for the rights and protections of the LGBT community and those with HIV for more than 39 years