Fighting for Marriage in Illinois, One Year Later
Find Your State
Legal Help Desk
One year ago today, Lambda Legal filed a lawsuit on behalf of 16 same-sex couples and their children seeking the freedom to marry in Illinois.
Let’s take a moment to review some of the amazing progress made since then.
- The Illinois Attorney General announced that she believed excluding same-sex couples from marriage is unconstitutional, and joined our side of the fight.
- The Cook County Clerk and State’s Attorney also agreed that barring same-sex couples from marriage is unconstitutional.
- Gov. Pat Quinn, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and President Obama have all taken a stand for the freedom to marry in Illinois
- More than 7,000 people have signed our pledge supporting the freedom to marry in Illinois.
- Six more states have achieved marriage equality: Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Washington.
- France, New Zealand and Uruguay joined the list of nations that allow same-sex couples to marry. Brazil, Germany and the United Kingdom are waiting in the wings.
- The Illinois Senate approved a marriage equality bill, and a vote in the House could happen at any moment.
Learn more about Lambda Legal’s Illinois marriage lawsuit.
Sign our pledge and support the freedom to marry.