Fighting for Marriage in Illinois, One Year Later
One year ago today, Lambda Legal filed a lawsuit on behalf of 16 same-sex couples and their children seeking the freedom to marry in Illinois.
Let’s take a moment to review some of the amazing progress made since then.
- The Illinois Attorney General announced that she believed excluding same-sex couples from marriage is unconstitutional, and joined our side of the fight.
- The Cook County Clerk and State’s Attorney also agreed that barring same-sex couples from marriage is unconstitutional.
- Gov. Pat Quinn, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and President Obama have all taken a stand for the freedom to marry in Illinois
- More than 7,000 people have signed our pledge supporting the freedom to marry in Illinois.
- Six more states have achieved marriage equality: Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Washington.
- France, New Zealand and Uruguay joined the list of nations that allow same-sex couples to marry. Brazil, Germany and the United Kingdom are waiting in the wings.
- The Illinois Senate approved a marriage equality bill, and a vote in the House could happen at any moment.
Learn more about Lambda Legal’s Illinois marriage lawsuit.
Sign our pledge and support the freedom to marry.
Find us on Facebook
July 28, 2014
July 25, 2014
July 25, 2014
July 23, 2014