Jobs: Youth in Out-of-Home Care Law Student Internship - Fall and Spring Semester
Lambda Legal’s Youth in Out-of-Home Care Project seeks law students for fall and spring internships.
Lambda Legal is the nation’s oldest and largest legal organization committed to achieving full equality for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and people with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
Lambda Legal’s Youth in Out-of Home Care Project raises awareness and advances reform on behalf of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youth in child welfare, juvenile justice and homeless systems of care. We aim to increase the will and capacity of youth-serving organizations to prepare and support LGBTQ youth as they transition from adolescence to independence. We work with LGBTQ youth as well as social workers, case managers, administrators and other child welfare advocates to ensure safe and affirming child welfare services for LGBTQ youth.
Assist Youth in Out-of-Home Care Staff Attorney with investigation, research and drafting in ongoing cases, prospective cases, and amicus curiae briefs.
- Research, draft, and/or edit publications on LGBTQ issues for public education.
- Assist Youth in Out-of-Home Care Staff Attorney in preparing reports, articles, and other written materials on major child welfare issues related to LGBTQ youth.
- Assist in advocacy efforts for the implementation of LGBTQ-inclusive child welfare/ juvenile justice policy recommendations to national, state, and local lawmakers and other public officials.
- Provide assistance to Lambda Legal’s Help Desk, which responds via phone and email directly to members of our community who call or write seeking legal information and assistance with discrimination related to sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and HIV status.
Strong legal research and writing skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with strict time constraints.
- Although experience in youth in out-of-home care is preferred, we are primarily interested in working with law students who are innovative, productive, and who have a strong interest in issues affecting LGBTQ youth in foster care, juvenile justice settings, and on the streets.
- A background in or familiarity with issues important to lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people, and those with HIV will greatly strengthen an application. Commitment to public interest law also greatly strengthens an application. Lambda Legal encourages applications from people of color and people with disabilities, including HIV.
This is an unpaid position. Applicants are strongly encouraged to seek out and apply for grants from their school or other sources.
The title of the position (Youth in Out-of-Home Care Law Student Internship) MUST appear on the first line of the envelope, if mailing, or subject line, if emailing. Lambda Legal will accept applications for this internship on an ongoing basis.
Applicants should send resume, cover letter (with hours of availability for the semester/term), and a short writing sample to:
Kaitlyn Gentile, Legal Assistant
120 Wall St, Suite 1500
New York, NY 10005
Fax: (212) 809-0055
No calls please. Due to the high volume of applications, Lambda Legal will not accept phone calls about the position and does not notify applicants of status except when an interview is granted.
Lambda Legal is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people of all gender identities and gender expressions and people with disabilities, including HIV, are encouraged to apply.