Jobs: Nonprofit Fundraising Internship
Lambda Legal is looking for interns for the Spring, Summer and Fall semesters to help the Development Department raise over $10 million of the organization's annual operating budget.
The Development Department of Lambda Legal creates and implements the organization's fundraising efforts, and has a goal to raise close to $1 million per month. As an intern you will be helping the four core teams of the Development Department—events, foundations, membership and major donors. Each team is run by talented, energetic and lively individuals.
These internship positions will provide someone with substantial experience in nonprofit development and management, grant writing, events planning, researching donor prospects, solicitation strategizing, in addition to gaining valuable office experience working in one of the nation's leading civil rights organizations.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following. Each intern will be encouraged to take a leadership role in spearheading their own project within the objectives of the development department, depending on one's experience and hours of availability.
- Research new foundations to apply for funding
- Conduct external research on Lambda Legal's key program priorities to use in writing proposals
- Help with copy editing of proposals and report
- Help in writing minor proposals and reports
- Research and develop events in new fundraising markets
- Research event venues and caterers, and help to get quotes
- Depending on availability, provide assistant at key high profile even
- Depending on experience, help design invitations and event promotion
Membership / Major Donors:
- Help with organizing our national LGBT Pride campaign (spring and summer interns)
- Help in researching potential donors
- Help in conducting in depth researching into new fundraising markets
- Provide support in sending mailings and invitationsHelp provide current donors and members with information requests
- Help with maintaining database records
- Each internship position will also have its share of "busy" work including envelope stuffing and administrative duties like file cleaning and data entry.
Each intern will be expected to work 15–20 hours per week (this is flexible), sometime between the hours of 9:30am–5:30pm, Monday through Friday in our New York City office located on Wall Street in Manhattan.
We are seeking motivated and responsible college students or young professionals looking to gain experience working with a nonprofit. Prior interning experience is not a requirement, but we do require you to have a strong work ethic and willingness to learn. A candidate should have an interest in Lambda Legal's mission to provide equal rights to LGBT individuals and those living with HIV and have basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. A potential intern should be comfortable working independently but also working with a team and a supervisor.
This is an unpaid internship. We encourage you to use this internship to gain course credit and to seek out "work-study" grants with your college, if that is an option.
If you are interested in the internship, please send an updated resume with a cover letter. In the cover letter you should identify which of the responsibilities and areas of fundraising listed in the internship description above you are interested in. For example "I am interest in working with foundations and events," or "just foundations." Also in the cover letter, please provide information on what semester you are looking to intern, and the estimated days and times you will be available to work.
You can email or mail your resume and cover letter, but email is preferred. When using email, attach your resume and cover letter as a Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
Mail to: Development Internship
c/o Thai Pham
120 Wall Street
1500 New York, NY 10005
Lambda Legal is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people of all gender identities and gender expressions and people with disabilities, including HIV, are encouraged to apply.